Friday, May 25, 2012

Back to My Feet


Let me preface this entry by saying I’ve always wanted the inside scoop of an aspiring writer’s journey. But no one ever seems to get down to the nitty gritty. The bad stuff, the dark days, the sense of failure. How those things were overcome. I’ve only ever read success stories, but not the how-I-got-here stories. So, presuming I get There some day, I want to share. 

I started the orginal blog two years ago and at the time I promised to share my journey. From the first draft to the book deal. It’s a risky promise to make, since I don’t know the outcome (and it could be extremely embarrassing!) but I’m going to do it anyway.

And on to today’s entry...


I wanted to update you on the impromptu foot soak last month. My feet were in the water for an entire month, so long they actually went numb from the cold. Then the other day, someone turned on the hot water. It got the circulation moving and I ended up with a full pedicure, paraffin and all.

Okay, so in a less cryptic version. I got unexpected interest from my first and only query. In the form of a full request! It gave me so much confidence that I launched into full querying mode. But ONLY because I reviewed my manuscript one more time and applied beta crits. Now I'm ready to roll.

The experience has been a HUGE confidence builder but, at the same time it didn't give me the results I desired. My intention was to thicken my skin. Instead, it did what most foot soaks do. It made me softer. I don't doubt I'll receive an R somewhere along the way in Queryland. Still,  I can't help wishing it had come sooner than later. Because I think when it finally does, it's going to hurt so much more.

All negative thoughts aside, I will keep you posted on my journey.

So far I've queried 8 agents. And received 1 full request. The first query was sent on April 24th. Six were sent yesterday and the day before and I will be sending one more today.

I started writing this manuscript last summer. Since then, it's been edited and revised five times. I did chapter by chapter critiques with my crit group and a beta at the end of it all.

Like I promised, way back on Friday, September 10, 2010, I will be completely transparent about my querying experience. Rejections, heartbreak, celebration. Whatever may come, you'll hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment