Sunday, August 15, 2010

Progressive TV?

There's a new children's show coming out that features a black character as one of the main characters. I believe his name is Nick. The show is called the Cat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That. I think its great that one of the main characters is a person of color.It deviates from plot of the well known book by Dr. Seuss but it teaches children the importance of diversity.

Now I'm a critic by nature, so of course I found something wrong with it anyway. Not so wrong that I won't allow my children to watch it, but just wrong enough that I had to complain about it :) As is my nature.

Apparently the voice actor that plays "Nick" is White. I know I sound like a whiner, but I can't help but wonder why they couldn't just go all in. Were there not enough talented black or other voice actors of color that they could find to audition and successfully fulfill this role? I wonder if it the creators decided that they'd already "done us a favor" by making Nick black in the first place? Maybe that's it. After all this is a Canadian television show. And Canada? Not all that progressive.

I guess its what the kids see that matters most, not what they hear.

I will say this, even though its a shame a black actor lost out to that role, I'm glad they decided against the stereotypical black dialect.

Now that's progressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment