Thursday, April 26, 2012

My First Query

It's been almost a month since my last post, but I'm back and fresher than ever! Finished up finals a week ago and I don't think I've ever been so relaxed. Now comes the hard part. Deciding if its worth it to go back to school for 8 more months. Right now my gut is saying Hellz No!

Anyway enough about that. I need to update you on my querying antics. I cheated. Yes, I'm a cheater. I finished up revising the fourth draft after one month. There were so many changes that I didn't see coming, but it's sooo much better. The great news is that I'm in love with the manuscript again! Well, I guess that can be bad too. Now I'm all attached to the characters and the story and any rejections that might come will hurt that much more. But back to my point...

I cheated.

I didn't wait for all my betas to come back. And I sent out a query. My first ever. The California-based agency sends an auto-reply telling authors to wait 6-8 weeks. If I don't hear anything by then, its a no go. 

If I was giving advice to anyone, I'd say wait for the betas. Don't jump the gun. Be patient and wait. But I couldn't, so I guess that makes me a bad example! I only sent out one. I just had to know what it felt like! I don't have a preferred agent for this project. But the one I sent the query to was very appropriate. There are 20 agents on my current list and I've decided to avoid the synopsis-seeking agents for now. But once I get that done, my list will grow. I don't plan on sending anymore until see what the result of this first one is. So I'll be holding off for another 2 months. Or less, depending on how things pan out.


No comments:

Post a Comment