Sunday, July 25, 2010

THE TURNING POINT

I turned thirty over a month ago and it was a pretty low key celebration. Having two kids (one of which shares a birthday with me) I tend not to do the big celebration thing anymore when my birthday rolls around. I haven't had a birthday party in years and it seems that the lack of interest to celebrate my aging has caught on (for my 30th I got a water bottle--one of those cook Klean Kanteen ones-- and a chocolate bar). Not complaining..just saying I imagined my 30th to be a bit more festive. But money is tight! Graduating during a recession has done nothing for my resume or my pocket book. The business I started nine months ago is still getting its footing and I just can't seem to win the lottery.

I was watching the Cake Boss marathon today and there were a lot of women celebrating their 30th birthdays in style. But that wasn't the thing that caught my attention, it was the way they looked--like they were actually 30! My sister and I are famous for not looking our age. If it wasn't for the age of my children I'm sure people wouldn't believe my age. I've been told I look anywhere between 16 and 25. It's both flattering and annoying at the same time. I'm sure in ten years I'll be thrilled though.

Except...as I leaned in to examine my face in the mirror about 20 minutes ago, I noticed two things; my skin doesn't look as vibrant as it used to and sticking out of the top of my head was a lone gray hair.

Geez. Gray hair at 30. Me with gray hair. I shouldn't be surprised. My sister has one. My mother had a patch of gray in the front of her head for as long as I can remember, I'm pretty sure it was there the day I met her. She had me at 31 so I guess that adds up.

Gray is distinguished. No? Or is that just for men.

It's barely noticeable but it did make me cry a little bit.

I wonder how many gray hairs the next ten years will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment