Monday, June 4, 2012

Synopsis Hell.

So it's happened. Just when I thought the hard part (choosing agents to query) was over, up pops another agent. I've read comments from other writers before about that agent who's perfect for your book. The one who you were sure was "the one". Your kindred agent spirit. Well, I think I found her and I'm honestly afraid to even say that out loud.

This morning I woke up and performed my usual routine:

  1. Work out
  2. Have shower
  3. Make smoothie
  4. Open computer while sipping on smoothie
  5. Login to querytracker.net
  6. Open up Literary Rambles
  7. Pull up agent twitter accounts
  8. Find out what the news is for the week, all while still sipping on smoothie
Somewhere between the 8th and 9th step I shook things up a bit by doing an impromptu search in Literary Rambles. The search brought up an agent I hadn't considered before. Why? I have no clue. I follow her blog, so I have a good idea of what she likes. It's just weird that I never realized, until today, that she is perfect for this book. 

So that makes three agents who would do this job better than all the rest. 

Anyway, that's how the 9th step got all screwed up. Instead of my normal, leisurely writing I was hurdled into the world of Synopsis Creation: a world of hell. With words. 

This is the first synopsis I've ever written and, if it wasn't for this agent, I honestly wouldn't bother. During my search, I actually avoided agents who required a synopsis. Seriously. 

Truthfully, the first hour wasn't so bad. I was really in the groove and I like the way it sounds--at the beginning. It's the end of the day now and the only thing that's keeping me going is reading every ounce of web presence this agent has. Every time I want to give up, I go to one article or another and am reminded I have to query her. 

And so it continues. Step 9:  Walk through coals.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment