Tuesday, May 25, 2010

THE WOMAN IN THE VIDEO

I remember arguing with my mother. I remember practically hating my mother. To tell you the truth I think there may have been a time when I did. It seems like mothers and daughters naturally butt heads and it can go down so many different paths.

I had a very strict mother; very religious and culturally (she’s Caribbean) bound to her parenting ways. I’m not complaining because as strict as she was I’m grateful for a lot of what she has taught me. I’m not as strict as she was. I was rebellious though, so I think the marriage of culture and religion may have been too much. I am a little stricter than most parents, but not horribly so.

I believe in (almost) no music videos, as most of them are far too suggestive these days. Our house is always filled with music though (many different genres). But since little girls are so impressionable I think watching music videos aren’t exactly a great idea when it comes to teaching values.

I know I’m not the first person to complain about this, but the way black women are portrayed in the media really pisses me off. Especially when a black man depicts that portrayal. I want my daughter to see herself as an intelligent, respectable woman not one that only knows how to shake her ass or look good in a pair of tight jeans.

Some people think I’m ridiculous to be so strict but I can confidently say that if something comes on the TV that my daughter has never seen before she will turn her head, she won’t watch anything on a channel that I haven’t approved and is even embarrassed if she happens to see a woman shaking her ass on the television or wearing suggestive clothing. I don’t know how long this will last but I’m hoping long enough to for her to realize that she is worth so much more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment