Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Revolution

I am the proud mother of a beautiful Black girl. I always knew it would be a difficult task (raising a Black daughter) but I have to admit that I never expected the trials to begin so early!

On top of all of the other things that little girls have to deal with on a day-to-day basis, Little Black Girls have to deal with their own unique issues. From skin tone to hair length and texture to body proportion the plight of the black girl lives on and unfortunately in this day and age it starts as early as they are able to look in the mirror.

This is my venting place. So please, bear with me. I'll vent a lot, but I'll also give advice and look for yours in return!

It’s sad that we don’t see ourselves portrayed in the media as much as others, but it’s not at all a lost cause. To be honest, I don't even believe that it is the media's responsibility. It's our responsibility. It all begins at home. As mothers (and fathers!) we need to nurture pride within our daughters. If it doesn’t exist out there we need to first create at home!

I am DETERMINED to raise a proud Black woman. I want my daughter to love herself first. I want her to be confident and I want her to develop her own determination to affect change.

No comments:

Post a Comment